Foster children in state (DCS) funded foster care in Indiana have a right to visit with siblings 

 A foster child, a foster parent, or a guardian ad litem or court appointed special advocate can request the Department of Child Services set up a visitation schedule. 

 The sibling does not also need to be in foster care.  

 The Department of Child Services is required by law to make reasonable efforts to promote sibling visitation for any child in foster care funded by the Department of Child Services. 

 If the Department of Child Services will not allow the requested visitation, the foster child’s guardian ad litem or court appointed special advocate may file a petition asking the court to allow the sibling visitation.  

 If there is no guardian ad litem, the court may appoint one if the foster child requests sibling visitation. 

 If the court decides sibling visitation is in the best interests of the foster child, the court shall order sibling visitation and establish a visitation schedule.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: